School Section No. 9 

  courtesy of John Kaminski 2006   

A log school had been built for this section before 1860. In 1861 a new frame school was erected by Alexander McLean for $120.00 on the site, Lot 21, Concession 6, purchased from Donald McFarlane for $4.00. Alexander Sproat received $1.50 for a school bond for the site. It was provided with a box stove, and a well was dug. The government grant was $27.58. These responsibilities were undertaken by the trustees, Thomas Brown, William Meadows, Edward Brown, and J.S. Collison.
In 1862, John McEwen who held a second class certificate was hired to teach for $18.00 per month, "payable when the taxes were collected".
In 1867 the school was closed for a month due to illness. Afterwards classes were held on Saturday to make up the time. When James Geddes, the teacher, missed eleven days from illness, $9.90 was deducted from his salary of $220.00.
The well was cleaned each year for 75 cents. The Secretary-Treasurer was paid $5.00.
In 1893 a new school was erected on the same site. Henry Roppel bought the old building for $100.00 and moved it to his farm, Lot 18, Concession 6 to use as a blacksmith shop and grist mill. In the new school, Charles Cameron was the first teacher at a salary of $400.00. In 1912, a new well was drilled.
The annual School Fair was held on the school grounds for several years after 1915, after which the event was transferred to Underwood.
A victrola and organ were bought in 1935 and Mr. Fotheringham introduced music teaching. Hydro was installed in 1946 as well as a water pressure system. In 1948 the pupils bought a radio with the proceeds of their Christmas concert.
Trustees in 1950 were Harold Cassidy, Roy Giesz, Roy Foster and Richard Hyde, Secretary-Treasurer, when they relinquished their duties to the newly formed area board.
An auction sale was held in 1966 to dispose of school furnishings, and of the building which was bought by Laurence Stark, of Paisley. It is now owned by Keith and Dorothy Simser.

Taken from "Bruce Township- Tales and Trails from early days to 1983" written by the Bruce Township Historical Society  (with permission)

S.S. #9  about 1910 building & class  contributor unknown
S.S. #9  about 1912 - parade  courtesy of Islay Wrightson
S.S. #9 about 1915 - class courtesy of Lois Schnittker & Bonnie Collins
S.S. #9  about 1925 - parade  courtesy of Lois Schnittker
S.S. #9  about 1925 - parade  courtesy of Lois Schnittker
S.S. #9  about 1925 - parade  courtesy of Lois Schnittker
S.S. #9  1935/36 class & names courtesy of Lorence Schnittker
S.S. #9  1943 students courtesy of Lois Schnittker
S.S. #9  1945 class courtesy of Lois Schnittker
S.S. #9  1948 class & names courtesy of Islay Wrightson
S.S. #9  1951 students & names courtesy of Lois Schnittker
S.S. #9  1953 class & names courtesy of Islay Wrightson
S.S. #9  about1958 class & names courtesy of Lorence Schnittker

If anyone has more information or pictures or missing names for the pictures,
please e-mail schoolsbrucetownship.ca