After Bruce became a separate township in 1856, James Johnston was named by the township council to call the first meeting of Section 8 when sufficient residents requested a school. Previous to that time there are records to show that in 1857 a retroactive legislative grant was paid for education provided in 1852 and 1853. John Fraser was paid $55.00 and the grant was £13-15s.
A log school was built in the southeast corner of Lot 10, Concession 7 facing east. In a few years it was filled to capacity. Larger boys had to sit on logs which formed part of the framework along the sides.
The first teacher, James Johnson, taught only six months because his salary did not pay for his board. The average attendance was reported to be sixty.
A brick school replaced the old one in 1873. The teacher was Hugh Clarke. Trustees were: Gilbert Johnston, Joe McArthur, and Hugh MacDougall. The money was borrowed from the ratepayers who were given notes of security. Attendance soared to 110 in a few years. Before 1900 two teachers, Miss Ena Henderson and John Young taught at the age of 16.
In 1925 a new brick building was erected. The school grounds were increased to twice the former size by the purchase of land from Robert Ranney.
Trustees were George Tennyson, Milton Dahmer, and William Cassidy with John R. Hunter as Secretary-Treasurer. The first teacher was Miss Agnes MacLaren.
In 1943 a piano was purchased for the teaching of music, Hydro was installed in 1948 and in 1950 a well was drilled. Trustees were Howard Nelson, Elmer Ribey, and Donald MacKay who acted as Secretary-Treasurer. The area board took over the operation of the school in 1950. A new heating system was installed, also flush toilets, and basement floors rebuilt.
In January 1965, the school closed and the pupils transported to the Central School.
In 1967, the Kindergarten class of Bruce Township Central School opened in this building. Morning and afternoon classes were held until June 1981, when they were transferred to the Central School at Underwood, and No. 8 closed for a second time The building was sold to Natcho and Hripaek Kelian, who now occupy it.
Taken from "Bruce Township- Tales and Trails from early days to 1983" written by the Bruce Township Historical Society (with permission)
S.S. #8 1891 building & class courtesy of
S.S. #8 about 1903 class courtesy of Ruth Matheson
S.S. #8 1918 class & names courtesy of Marjorie Tennyson
S.S. #8 about 1935 class & names courtesy of Karen Ribey & Donelda MacKinnon
S.S. #8 1939 class & names courtesy of Karen Ribey & Donelda MacKinnon
S.S. #8 1943 well drilling and contract courtesy of Marjorie Tennyson
S.S. #8 1947 class & names courtesy of Mary (Hunter) Campbell & Donelda MacKinnon
S.S. #8 1947 building and road courtesy of Donelda MacKinnon
S.S. #8 1948 classroom & names courtesy of Donelda MacKinnon
S.S. #8 1953 class & names courtesy of Mary (Hunter) Campbell
S.S. #8 1953 parade & some names courtesy of Marion Grant
S.S. #8 1955 class & names courtesy of Marion Grant
S.S. #8 1955 girls & names courtesy of Marion Grant
S.S. #8 1957 Christmas class & names courtesy of Mary (Hunter) Campbell
S.S. #8 1964 class & names courtesy of Mary (Hunter) Campbell
If anyone has more information or pictures or missing names for the pictures,
please e-mail schoolsbrucetownship.ca