Union School Section No. 3 Bruce and Kincardine

1934,  courtesy of Grace MacPherson

Eskdale school was located on the southeast corner of Lot 11, Concession 1 in 1854. There is little record of the early log school. The first teacher may have been Daniel McEwen, followed by "left-handed" Dan McLaurin, Miss Flora McDonald and Miss Margaret McPhail, last teacher in the log school. Early trustees were Peter McEwen, Peter Buchanan, Neil McArthur, Donald Clark, Peter McLaurin, Hugh McKinnon and Malcolm Bell.
The caretaker received 3 cents for each fire he lit on the old stove; one received $4.90 for a year's service. The teachers were paid twice annually. 
This school section was deeply involved in the aforementioned controversies over the dissatisfaction with the union system. In 1873 the log school was replaced by a frame building on a new site, Lot 15, Concession 1. Later this structure was bricked over and in 1900 a stone wall was put under it. In 1907 slate blackboards were added. The new seats and desks were made of pine, painted grey, and wide enough for two pupils but still too large for the smaller pupils. They were replaced in 1885 and again in 1911.
The first well was a dug one, improved in 1892 by a brick-lined well five feet across, and in 1911 by an artesian well 265 feet deep. The interior was redecorated in 1910. In 1921 wind insurance was placed on the building. During the depression years improvements ceased. In 1936 a new porch was built, the next year sanitary toilets installed. Hydro was turned on in 1949. Until 1946 the site was Crown land; the Letters Patent were obtained in 1947 by the trustees, Chambers McKinnon, George Downey, Harold Hendry and Stewart McPherson, Secretary-Treasurer. Music had been taught for several years when in 1934 itinerant music teachers visited the school, Charles Fotheringham followed by Mary MacArthur and Everett Lane.
The last class was conducted January 8, 1965 by teacher, Wilfred Campbell. In April of that year the building was sold to Neil McLeod; now owned by Jean McLeod, it is occupied by tenants. 

Taken from "Bruce Township- Tales and Trails from early days to 1983" written by the Bruce Township Historical Society  (with permission)

U.S.S. #3 1894 class & names courtesy of Grace MacPherson
U.S.S. #3 1907 class & names  courtesy of Grace MacPherson
U.S.S. #3 1934 class & names courtesy of Grace MacPherson
U.S.S. #3 1935 class& names  courtesy of Grace MacPherson
U.S.S. #3 1939 class & names courtesy of Grace MacPherson
U.S.S. #3 1945 class & names courtesy of Grace MacPherson
U.S.S. #3 1947 class & names  courtesy of Grace MacPherson
U.S.S. #3 1953 class  & names  courtesy of Grace MacPherson
U.S.S. #3 1954/55 class & names  courtesy of Grace MacPherson
Tiverton Fall Fall Fair, 1956courtesy of Lois Bradley
U.S.S. #3 about 1956 class & names courtesy of Lois Bradley
U.S.S. #3 about 1956 students & names courtesy of Lois Bradley
U.S.S. #3 1957 class & names  courtesy of Grace MacPherson
U.S.S. #3 1963 class & names  courtesy of Grace MacPherson
U.S.S. #3 1965 reunion group courtesy of Grace MacPherson
U.S.S. #3 1965 reunion - teachers courtesy of Grace MacPherson

If anyone has more information or pictures or missing names for the pictures,
please e-mail schoolsbrucetownship.ca