Union School Section 16 Bruce, Greenock and Kincardine  -  Glamis School 

  courtesy of Joyce Colwell

No school was built at Glamis until 1899. The Greenock pupils attended a school near Narva, while those of Bruce and Kincardine attended U.S.S. No. 4. Due to the aforementioned controversy over long distances on foot for the pupils, a conveniently located school was badly needed. In 1899 the old Methodist Church shed was used for classes pending the formation of U.S.S. No. 16.
The school was built by R.Y. McFadyen. The first teacher was John Rowan, who lived on Lot 23, Concession 14, Greenock, the farm later owned by Earl Ferris. The attendance was 52 including three sets of twins, a rare circumstance worth noting. The grounds were landscaped by the planting of trees, which did much to enhance the beauty of the area.
In 1936, U.S.S. No. 4 was closed, and pupils from that section were transported to Glamis.
Music was taught by the itinerant teacher, Mr. Fotheringham. In 1939, the school group went to see King George VI and Queen Elizabeth as they passed through Stratford. A piano was purchased in 1940, and a junior Red Cross was very active with fund raising campaigns.
The school had a fine record of success at School Fairs, sporting events and academic achievement.
A radio was placed in the school in 1946. The blackboards were replaced in 1954, and an oil furnace installed. In 1956, first-aid kits were put in, and a record player purchased. In 1961, the ceiling was lowered, and the school redecorated.
In December of 1964, trustees, Alex McLennan, Ronald Thompson and Glen Fullerton held their last meeting. The teacher, Mrs. Betty Eskrick, conducted classes to the end of June 1965, under the township board. In the fall the pupils attended the Central School.
The building was sold, and Arcangelo and Iona Paoletti resided there for many years.

Taken from "Bruce Township- Tales and Trails from early days to 1983" written by the Bruce Township Historical Society  (with permission)

U.S.S. #16 1916 class courtesy of Bob Ferris
U.S.S. #16 abt 1917 class and (Mrs Bert Reynolds) courtesy of Bob Ferris
U.S.S. #16 1918 class and names courtesy of Alan MacKinnon
U.S.S. #16 about 1930 class and banner courtesy of Joyce Colwell
U.S.S. #16 1933 class and names courtesy of Bob Wrightson
U.S.S. #16 1934 class and names courtesy of Bob Wrightson
U.S.S. #16 1935 class and names courtesy of Bob Wrightson
U.S.S. #16 1935 another pic with names courtesy of Bob Wrightson
U.S.S. #16 1939 class & names courtesy of Eileen Morris & Mona MacLean
U.S.S. #16 1951 parade flag & 2 "pirates" courtesy of Eileen Morris
U.S.S. #16 1952 Arbour Day snapshots & story courtesy of Eileen Morris
U.S.S. #16 1953 class & names courtesy of Bob Wrightson
U.S.S. #16 1956/57 snapshots & names courtesy of Eileen Morris
U.S.S. #16 1957 class & names courtesy of Eileen Morris
U.S.S. #16 parade about 1960 courtesy of Joyce Colwell
U.S.S. #16 parade about 1960 courtesy of Joyce Colwell

If anyone has more information or pictures or missing names for the pictures,
please e-mail schoolsbrucetownship.ca