courtesy of Don Ribey
About the year 1862, a school hewn of hemlock logs was built on a half acre
of land bought from Donald Beaton, Lot 11, Concession 12. Formerly the children
had attended a log school on the same farm.In 1908, a well was drilled by George
Gilchrist for $119.70. In 1916, the school was bricked over by Smith Bros. for
$131.50. In 1935 Mr. Fotheringham introduced music.
In March 1940 fire completely gutted the building, but neighbours saved much of the contents. A trailer was rented from Oscar Nickel for $30.00 to continue classes. Two acres of land were purchased from Joshua Howe for $150.00 on Lot 11, Concession 13 across the road from the former school.
Fire insurance of $2680.49, and a loan of $3000.00 from Herman Boettger financed the new building, built of brick by Mr. Rintall with E.J. Dinnin as architect.
Miss Bessie Davison was the first teacher. Landscaping made this school one of the most attractive in the district.
The last trustees were Orville Ribey, D.A. McLean and Joe McCulloch as Secretary-Treasurer.
The school property was leased to the Brucedale Women's Institute.
In 1968 it was sold and is now the Brucedale Community Centre. (See Community Life).
Taken from "Bruce Township- Tales and Trails from early days to 1983" written by the Bruce Township Historical Society (with permission)
S.S. # 13, 1897class & names
courtesy of Don Ribey
S.S. # 13, about 1910 class & names courtesy of Don Ribey
S.S. # 13, about 1917, Remembrance day play & names.jpg courtesy of Murray Ribey
S.S. # 13, 1918 class & names courtesy of Karen Ribey
S.S. # 13, 1934or35 class & names courtesy of Karen Ribey
S.S. # 13, 1839 class & names courtesy of Murray Ribey
S.S. # 13, 1948 class & names courtesy of Elda Grieve
S.S. # 13, 1948 Grade 1 & names courtesy of Elda Grieve
S.S. # 13, 1948/49 class & names courtesy of Elda Grieve
S.S. # 13, 1950 Grade 1+2 & names courtesy of Elda Grieve
S.S. # 13, 1951-52 some students and names courtesy of Audrey Webb
S.S. # 13, 1953 class and names courtesy Diane (Howe) Holman
S.S. # 13, building 1916 to 1940 courtesy of Margarite Caldwell
If anyone has more information or pictures or missing names for the pictures,
please e-mail schoolsbrucetownship.ca