courtesy of Allan Evans
Lot J, Concession 3 was the site of the first school built in 1876. Prior to
this date, much of the area belonged to No. 2 section, the Tiverton school.
The building, a red frame structure, was generally called "Sinclairs' Corners School". The first teacher was Peter Cameron who lived nearby. He was a mildmannered man who was sometimes harassed by the bigger boys.
In 1892, the legislative grant was $7.70, municipal grant $9.35, teacher's annual salary $250.00 and the balance on hand $39.67. Daniel Stonehouse cleaned the school and lit the fires for 3 cents a day. The trustees authorized purchasing an eight day clock at a price "not to exceed $5.00". The stage driver charged 15 cents to deliver it from Kincardine. In 1898 a pane of glass cost 5 cents, the putty 3 cents, and 10 cords of wood cost $10.00.
The school was moved in 1904 to a new site just north of the original one It was placed on a concrete foundation and bricked over by William Woods. In 1912 Harry Johnson drilled a well 217 feet deep for $1.30 a foot.
In 1924 when Flora Hughes was the teacher, only 8 pupils attended. Two years later when attendance decreased to 3, the school was closed for 5 years, to be reopened in 1948 with 12 pupils with Mrs. Aneita Gottschalk as teacher.
In 1950 the new Area Board brought improvements, hydro installed, also a water pressure system and an oil heater.
In 1965 the Bruce Township Area Board sold the building to Percy Collins. Gordon and Jean East now reside in it.
Taken from "Bruce Township- Tales and Trails from early days to 1983" written by the Bruce Township Historical Society (with permission)
S.S. #11 class about 1903 courtesy of Ruth
S.S. #11 1906 class with names courtesy of Betty McKinnon
S.S. #11 1911 newspaper with names courtesy of Betty McKinnon
S.S. #11 about 1911 class with names courtesy of Betty McKinnon
S.S. #11 1936 class with names courtesy of Bob Wrightson
S.S. #11 1938-39 class with names courtesy of Betty McKinnon
S.S. #11 1948-49 class with names courtesy of Ruth Matheson and Margaret Harper
S.S. #11 1953 class with names courtesy of Allan Evans
S.S. #11 about 1954 class with names courtesy of Allan Evans
S.S. #11 1963/64 class with names courtesy of Betty McKinnon
S.S. #11 building in 1958 courtesy of Allan Evans
S.S. #11 building in 2006 courtesy of Adele Kaminski
If anyone has more information or pictures or missing names for the pictures,
please e-mail schoolsbrucetownship.ca