Courtesy of Clarence McGillivray/Bonnie Colins Courtesy of John Kaminski, 2006
Richard McGregor, the first settler of this area, with his 12 sons, cleared
farms for themselves. It was on his land, that a log school was built.
In 1875 a half acre of land was bought from John Abell, Lot 31, Concession 6, on which a red brick school was built. At times more than a hundred pupils were on the roll. In 1877 the grounds were fenced, cleared of stumps, and levelled.
In 1915 fifty feet of land was bought from Robert Colwell and a new school was built on the same property, a little to the east of the red school.
In 1935 Chairman of Trustees was John A. Pace and Secretary-Treasurer J.B. McKay. In 1936 a windmill was set up to keep the well pumped out, replacing a gasoline engine which had been used for the purpose. In 1973 new brick toilets were installed.
Participating in a county campaign for improvement of grounds, the school planted various trees for a period of several years.
In 1941 the grounds were again enlarged by the purchase of land from Mr. Colwell. In 1944 lobbies, basement and flagpole were painted, hydro was installed and a water pressure system added. A cement sidewalk was laid to the front gate in 1945. Mrs. Heath, a Public Health Nurse, began regular visits in June. In 1947 indoor toilets were installed.
When the Township Area Board was formed in 1950, No. 10 also joined Port Elgin High School.
January 8, 1965, saw the closing of its doors and in March of that year the school and site were sold to Clarence McGillivray. This former school is now occupied by John and Helene Claus.
Taken from "Bruce Township- Tales and Trails from early days to 1983" written by the Bruce Township Historical Society (with permission)
U.S.S. # 10 1900 class & building courtesy of
U.S.S. # 10 1908 class courtesy of Jennifer Barna/Clarence McGillivray
U.S.S. # 10 about 1920, class courtesy of Bonnie Collins
U.S.S. # 10 about 1927 class and students courtesy of Marion McDermid
U.S.S. # 10 about 1940 class courtesy of Marion McDermid
U.S.S. # 10 1945 Grade 1 courtesy of Marion McDermid
U.S.S. # 10 1945 Grade 2 courtesy of Marion McDermid
U.S.S. # 10 1945 other gradescourtesy of Jennifer Barna & Betty (Dahmer) Tolton
U.S.S. # 10 1947 class & names courtesy of Jennifer Barna
U.S.S. # 10 1950 class courtesy of Jennifer Barna
U.S.S. # 10 about 1950 class & names courtesy of Mona MacLean
U.S.S. # 10 1952 class with banner courtesy of Marion (Vance) McDermid/Jennifer (Hodge) Barna/Joan (Goulding) Parsons
U.S.S. # 10 1953-54 Grade 9 with names (?SDSS) courtesy of Jennifer Barna
U.S.S. # 10 1953 class & names courtesy of Jennifer Barna
U.S.S. # 10 about 1955 class & names courtesy of Marion McDermid
U.S.S. # 10 building- 1952 courtesy of Jennifer Barna/Marion McDermid/Joan (Goulding) Parsons
U.S.S. # 10 building- 2006 courtesy of John Kaminski
If anyone has more information or pictures or missing names for the pictures,
please e-mail schoolsbrucetownship.ca